BSA Supply No. 35864
Basketry is a handy skill for a Scout. A basket can be a sturdy companion on campouts, carrying clothes snugly and efficiently, holding potatoes and corn for roasting over a campfire, or carrying the day's fishing catch back to camp for dinner. Baskets and basket-weaving projects also make great gifts for family and friends.
- Describe precautions you should take to safely use basketry tools and materials.
- Do the following:
- Show your counselor that you are able to identify each of the following types of
baskets: plaited, coiled, ribbed, and wicker.
- Describe three different types of weaves to your counselor.
- Plan and weave EACH of the following projects:
- a square basket
- a round basket
- a campstool seat
- Barratt, Olivia Elton. Basketmaking. Henry Holt, 1993.
- Crook, Georgia. Basketmaking. Crowood, 2000.
- Doney, Meryl. Baskets. Franklin Watts, 1997.
- Hoppe, Flo. Contemporary Wicker Baskets. Sterling Publications, 1996.
- LaFerla, Jane. Making the New Baskets: Alternative Materials, Simple Techniques. Lark Books, 1999.
- Peabody, Sarah, and William A. Turnbaugh. Indian Baskets. Schiffer Publishing, 1986.
- Siler, Lyn. The Basket Book. Sterling Publications, 1988.
- Yamane, Linda. Weaving a California Tradition: A Native American Basketmaker. Lerner Publications, 1997.
Organizations and Web Sites
Association of Michigan Basketmakers
1258 South Drive
Mount Pleasant, MI 48858
Web site: http://www. michiganbasketmakers.com
Web site: http://basketmakers.org
Basketry: The Oldest Craft
Web site: http://www.folksonline.com/ folks/hh/tours/1999/basketry.htm
Indiana Basketmakers Association
1405 Hargis Creek Trail
Austin, TX 78717
National Basketry Organization
Web site: http://www.nationalbasketry.org
210 S. Edgehill Drive
Fruit Heights, UT 84037
Gratiot Lake Basketry
Star Route 1, Box 16
Mohawk, MI 49950
Web site: http://www.gratiotlakebasketry.com
Inter-Mares Trading Co. Inc.
1064 Route 109
P.O. Box 617
Linenhurst, NY 11757-0617
Toll-free telephone: 800-229-CANE
Web site: http://www.canefish.com
Suzanne Moore's N.C. Basket Works
130 Main St.
P.O. Box 744
Vass, NC 28394
Toll-free telehone: 800-338-4972
Web site: http://www.ncbasketworks.com
V. I. Reed & Cane
8522 Lakeview Bay Road
Rogers, AR 72756
Web site: http://www.basketweaving.com